Horizon Europe project SYNERGETICS kicked off at DST
The SYNERGETICS kick-off meeting took place at DST in Duisburg on 8 and 9 February 2023.
SYNERGETICS (Synergies for Green Transformation of Inland and Coastal Shipping) is a Horizon Europe Innovation Action addressing the potentials for greening of inland and coastal fleet by means of retrofit. The key objectives of SYNERGETICS are:
- to demonstrate the potentials of retrofit technologies in greening the existing fleets by retrofitting four existing ships in the course of the project duration.
- to demonstrate the potentials of hydrodynamic improvements in greening of the existing fleets.
- to demonstrate the value of digital assets in greening the existing fleets.
- to integrate the knowledge on shipping decarbonisation and air-pollutant emission reduction technologies with experience gained in the pilot projects and in the demonstration performed within SYNERGETICS, and establish the catalogue of greening solutions.
- to provide up-to-date scenarios to policy-makers and the handbook to vessel owners for an accelerated greening of inland and coastal shipping.
- to accelerate the uptake of the greening retrofit solutions by streamlining regulatory procedures.
- to propagate the use of the catalogue, the scenarios, and the handbook developed within SYNERGETICS beyond Western Europe to the Danube and the Adriatic regions.
The SYNERGETICS consortium encompasses 16 members and two associated partners from eight countries while the project coordinator is DST. During the first day of the of Kick-off meeting, the Coordinator outlined the project structure and the project management tools, while work package leaders presented the contents of the work packages. The SYNERGETICS was also greeted by the Project Officer, Dr. Anna Karamigkou, who presented the overview of EC/CINEA/Horizon Europe, the structure of the Grant Agreement, and the expectations of CINEA from the SYNERGETICS consortium. The day was concluded with a tour of DST facilities and the enjoyable official dinner.
The work package workshops were held over the course of the second day which gave the partners an opportunity for in-depth discussions of various aspects of the SYNERGETICS project: the demonstrations which are going to take place in the project, the SYNERGETICS tools (the catalogue, the handbook, and the scenarios), regulatory aspects of retrofit, interaction and interdependencies of work packages, etc.
The SYNERGETICS project has officially started on 1 January 2023 and will last 42 months.
Benjamin Friedhoff, Tel.: +49 (0)203 / 99 369 29, E-Mail: email@example.com
Dr. Igor Bačkalov, Tel.: +49 (0)203 / 99 369 27, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The SYNERGETICS project receives funding from Horizon Europe, the European Union’s key funding programme for research and innovation, under grant agreement No 101096809.