Transport Rhein Continental: Waterborne transport of continental cargo in the Rhine-Waal region
The shift of continental cargo volumes from road to inland waterway vessels is intended to support the creation and retention of jobs in the Rhine-Waal region. It is also intended to reduce the level of noise and pollutant emissions and thus to improve the quality of life.
With regard to the intended modal shift from road to inland waterway transport, the realization of some preconditions was required. In the project, these prerequisites for intermodal transport for the Euregio were presented in detail and various possibilities were shown, up to a test transport that was actually carried out.
Within the course of the project, the following tasks were carried out:
- Market analysis of continental transports,
- Analysis of selected routes,
- Development of concrete service concepts,
- Practical tests,
- Analysis of port cooperation and competition,
- System-technical developments.
- April 2013 – June 2015
- INTERREG – European Regional Development Fund of the European Union